This information is for families who have received a request for income verification.
The law that governs the Opportunity Scholarship program requires SEAA to select and verify a percentage of applications each year for income verification. All applications are subject to income verification. If you are selected for income verification, we have resources to help you complete the process.
Income verification is a two-step process. You will complete income verification and upload all documents in MyPortal.
You will receive a task on your To-Do list in MyPortal to complete the Income Verification Worksheet. Submit the Income Verification Worksheet in MyPortal as soon as possible.
Once you submit the worksheet, we will request additional documents from you. Submit these documents in MyPortal (do not email).
For the Fastest Process:
- Do not email or fax documents to the Opportunity Scholarship program.
- Use the resources listed above to help you complete the Income Verification Worksheet.
- Submit documents as one PDF or Word file per person (MyPortal cannot accept image files).
Video: How to Complete Income Verification
Frequently Asked Questions
- Complete the Income Verification Worksheet and select “Yes” for “Did this person file a 2022 tax return?”.
- Email OpportunityScholarships@ncseaa.edu and tell us that you filed for an extension. We will then add a task to your student’s To Do list to submit a copy of your “Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S Individual Income Tax Return” (Form 4868). This form is due by October 1 and will extend your deadline to December 1. Funds cannot be released until the Income Verification process is complete.
- If we do not receive your Tax Return Transcript by December 1, the award offer will be cancelled
- Complete the Income Verification Worksheet as soon as possible. Remember to respond accurately.
- Don’t wait! Go to irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript and request an electronic copy of the Tax Return Transcript for your most recent tax return. Visit the following IRS resources if you need help with this process: Documents – ID.me Help Center and I can’t upload photos of my documents – ID.me Help Center
- We review documents in the order that they are received. After your documents are reviewed, we will email you if information is missing.
- Deadlines are important, so check your email daily and respond quickly. Copies of the emails we’ve sent are also visible in the “Notifications” section in MyPortal
- Check your To Do List in MyPortal weekly for new steps.
Submit documents as one PDF or Word file per person (MyPortal cannot accept image files).