The Opportunity Scholarship program was created by the North Carolina General Assembly in 2013. Scholarships are awarded based on a family’s household income and can be used to pay the required tuition and fees to attend an eligible private school.
Who Can Apply?
Parents of any North Carolina student entering kindergarten through 12th grade.
What are the eligibility requirements?
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the Opportunity Scholarship:
- At least 5 years old by August 31 or at least 4 years old by April 16 and approved for Kindergarten according to State guidelines
- Lives in North Carolina
- Has not graduated from high school
- Has not enrolled in a post-secondary institution full-time
Note: Scholarship amount is determined by household income
How Much is the Scholarship?
Scholarships range from approximately $3,000 to $7,000 and are based on a family’s household income. Scholarships can be used to pay the required tuition and fees to attend an eligible private school.
- Families may be responsible for other specific fees charged by a school.
When Can I Apply?
February 1 – March 1, 2024
See How to Apply for more information.
Which schools are eligible for Opportunity Scholarship funding?
Students with an Opportunity Scholarship must attend a Direct Payment School. Parents must complete the admissions process at their selected school. Selecting a direct payment school in MyPortal and receiving an award does not guarantee admission to the school. Parents should contact the direct payment school directly regarding completing the appropriate steps for admission and enrollment at the school in addition to accepting their scholarship award.
How Are Scholarships Awarded?
- Students who received the Opportunity Scholarship in 2023-2024 will be considered first for 2024-2025 awards.
- New applications submitted between February 1 – March 1 will be awarded based on household income. For more information, see Awarding Process.
Is My Student Guaranteed a Scholarship?
Due to expanded eligibility requirements, we expect to receive a higher number of applications than in previous years. If the number of eligible applications exceeds the amount of funds available, students will be added to a waitlist to fill slots that may become available at a later date.
Need More Information?
Choose from one of the following:
Learn how to apply for the Opportunity Scholarship
Download forms and get help managing your current scholarship
Register a school or manage your school’s participation in the program
1-855-330-3955 (K12 Program staff toll-free)