*Program Announcement 4/4/23*
Eligible families who applied between the February 1 – March 1 priority deadline window will receive first-round awards in late April for the 2023-2024 school year. Please check your email and MyPortal notifications during the last week of April.
Eligible families who apply after the March 1st priority deadline could be considered for an award offer over the summer, only if funds remain available.
The Opportunity Scholarship is an income-based program that helps families pay tuition and fees at Direct Payment Schools. *Awards up to $6,492 for the 2023-2024 school year
Do I qualify?
All of the following are required. Visit Interested to learn more about eligibility requirements:
- My family meets the income requirements
- My child will be at least 5 years old by August 31 or at least 4 by April 16 and approved for kindergarten according to State guidelines
- My child lives in North Carolina
- My child has not graduated high school
- My child has not enrolled in a post-secondary institution full time
- My child attended a North Carolina public, charter or Department of Defense school as a full-time student. See here for a full explanation of and exceptions to this requirement
Need More Information?
Choose from one of the following:
Learn how to apply
New Scholarship Families
Find out next steps after getting a scholarship for the first time
Current Scholarship Families
Download forms and get help managing your current scholarship
Register a school or manage your school’s participation in the program
Opportunity Scholarship Data
Video: Getting Started With MyPortal
1-855-330-3955 (K12 Program staff toll-free)
Did you Know?
A child must attend a North Carolina public school for at least the Spring semester before they would begin using an Opportunity Scholarship (see exceptions to prior public school requirement). Please note: home schools are not public schools and do not qualify as prior public school attendance.